Apartment Moving Tips
Moving to a new apartment can be an exciting time and also a very stressful at the same time. Here is a few things that will help make your moving transition go smooth as possible.
Packing early all the things you don’t use on a daily base. See our packing blog for correct ways to do your packing. There is a science behind packing everything the right way so things don’t break when moving them. You could always hire professional packers if you don’t have time to do it yourself. Pack a Essential box it will be very important to have access to that right away with toiletries, snacks, sheets, blankets ,clothes, shower curtain & etc..
Moving yourself or hiring a professional moving company. You may save in the long run with hiring experienced movers. Most moving companies in the valley will provide the truck, tools, pads, dollies and will include the gas and insurance for that truck. Bonus is that will save your back and Not have to worry about asking friends or family to help with your move. Downside, doing it yourself you will need to worry about renting a truck, paying for gas, mileage and insurance for that truck. Not to mention the equipment you will need to moving your furniture and protect everything as well. There is a higher risk of you ,your friends, or family from damaging your furniture that you care so much for.
Reservation , If your moving from a high rise building you may need to contact the building manager to reserve the elevator for your move in or out. Some High rise building will need General Liability insurance by the moving company. We have that policy for any of the buildings in the valley.
Dresser & Chest when hiring professional movers they should tell you to keep everything in your dresser drawers and take any valuable & breakable out to move them. Professional movers will have pads and big rubber bands to keep the drawers from opening. If they use tape they are wasting your money and time. If your moving yourself , You could use tape, because most likely will not have rubber band to keep them closed.
Local Moving hours for apartment moves. These hours can be more or less depending on your location from and to, stairs, long walks, elevator or how ready you are to move. 1-bed apartment 1st floor to 1st floor usually takes about 2hrs , 2-bedroom apartment 1st to 1st floor usually takes about 2-3hrs, When there are stairs it can take about 1hr longer. If you have a lot of misc or small boxes it can take longer as well.
Cheap Movers In the valley, are not as best for doing a local apartment move. They will charge you extra for stairs, tape, shrink, fuel fee, mileage . They may not even offer you a truck. They need to get the cost up to make up for the cheap rates, so beware and do your research to so if they reputable in the valley.
Why You Need Climate Controlled Storage:
Jones Moving & Storage is staffed with highly trained Phoenix Moving Crews.
Call us for Apartment moves, residential moves, corporate and commercial moves, local or long distance from Phoenix or Scottsdale.
Jones Moving & Storage
11398 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix, Arizona 85020
If your moving day is approaching, that means it’s almost time to clean!
As you’re moving and shuffling things around your old home and into the new, dirt gets kicked up, dust flies around and hands are touching everything. That’s why we say, leave the cleaning of your furniture until you’re moved in! Here are a few ways to spruce up your furniture in your new home!
For wood furniture, purchase a wood marker to fill in scuff marks and dings.
Have your upholstered furniture steam cleaned by a professional and it’ll look like new!
Give all of your smooth furniture a wipe-down before bringing it in the new home to reduce the amount of dirt brought in.
Though we do our best to keep clean trucks and use exceptional care when moving your belongings, dirt does happen. That’s why we say wait until after the move to worry about cleaning your furniture. You have enough to worry about with cleaning the old home before leaving so set your focus on that.
Kind in mind when moving from one place to another you may notice new scratches and dents on your furniture, that you hadn’t noticed before and may times this is due to the light change from one place to another. Our Movers will point out scratches and dents to you when they notice them. Our Guys sometime don’t see them until they get outside in the light. Its best to try and check over your furniture prior to moving day. We usually see a lot of dents on the bottom of furniture from the vacuum cleaning hitting the furniture.
- To make your move as stress free as possible, consider hiring a moving company in Phoenix.
Here at Jones Moving & Storage, we are dedicated to making your move smooth and simple, providing the best care for your belongings. Call 602-944-1413 to get your moving quote today! Visit our website for more information on packing services, local & long distance moving
Giving you Advise for your Local Move in Phoenix, AZ
- Packing: As soon as you know your moving it is a good idea to start your packing process this will help ease your mind. Start by packing all items you don’t use on a daily base like wall features, knickknacks, art work, garage items, clothes and etc. Label all boxes so that you will know what is inside the boxes and from what room it came from. Keeping all boxes in one area will help will saving time with your movers. Also don’t over pack or under pack your boxes. See our other blogs on packing information on packing and sizes of boxes to use for packing your items. If you need help packing check with your local moving company for advise or help prior to moving day.
- Time Saver: Loose items and very small boxes are very time consuming when your paying movers by the hour. So try to pack your items in one boxes instead of a lot of little boxes it will save on a lots of trips to the truck. Also, misc loose items are a waste of time for the movers, considering your paying by the hour. Disconnect your cords from opponents, beds, washer and dryers and refrigerator. Our movers will dissemble and reassemble beds, washer, dryers and TV’s with no extra charge.
- Being Ready: Having everything ready to go is so important. For exampleeverything should be removed off nightstands, dressers, coffee tables, end tables, desk, cabinets and packed up and ready to move. Lots of customers don’t realizes this will make the moving process go much slower if the movers have to remove everything off each piece of furniture to move it. Remove cords as well and put them in a safe place you will remember where they are.
- Apartment Moves: If an elevator is involved with your move, please check with your building manager to see if you must have an elevator reservation. Also, let you moving company know if there are stairs or tight turns in the stair case.
- Oversize & High End Furniture: It is very important to advise your moving company of any large pieces of furniture so they will bring the appropriate size truck on moving day. High end furniture may need extra pads and shrink wrap to protect the piece of furniture prior to moving it, so it important to let them know in advance.Moving Pianos , Pool Tables & Hot Tubs would be other items we would need to know about.
- Dressers & Chest: Clothing and linens may be left in dressers, chests and night stands, but books, valuables, jewelry and breakables – such as perfume bottles – must be removed.
- Labeling Rooms: Color code rooms will help the movers to place your items in the right rooms when your not available to tell each of the crew members where to place your items.
- Hardware: Get small bags to put your hardware from beds, desk and cabinet & anything that needed to be taking apart and label them so you or the movers will know where they came from. It will be much easier to reassemble and save you time in the long run.
- Keep out of the way: I’m going to try and say this the nicest way I know
10. Check Licensing & Insurance Information on your moving company. This is so important in the long run if anything may happen in the moving process. Keep in mind the state requirements are only .60 cents per pound per article you may want to check with your homeowners or rental policy to see if your covered when moving local. You can also get a plan through http://movinginsurance.com Something else to keep in mind is boxes packed by you and loose items such as glass, pictures, paintings, pottery, art work and etc. will not be covered under any of these policies. Also internal mechanical contents such as washer , dryers, refrigerators, television and anything in the inside of any opponents will not be covered the insurance company says we don’t know if it was working prior to the move.
11. Check Reviews: There are many moving companies out there from very good to very bad, so it is very important for you to do your homework as a consumer. Start by looking at your Local Better Business Bureau , also make sure they are accredited. These reviews are usually always legit. Here is the link to ours.
12.Cheapest Movers: Cheap movers always have crazy up charges for stairs, heavy items, wardrobe rental, fuel fee charge, long walk, tape, shrink wrap & etc. These charges are a way to make up for there low rates. Example: If you are hiring a Moving Company that is charging $35.00 per hour for 2-men or $49.99 per hour for 3-men, it usually too good to be true. They usually charge extra fee’s which always ends up costing more money in the end. If you do the math for the labor, truck fee, gas and insurance, there wouldn’t be enough money for that company to stay in business. That’s why there are so many crazy fees, plus there movers are usually not experienced. Usually Day Labors. One last thing to know is if they use shrink wrap to protect your furniture that is a true indication they don’t know what they are doing. Shrink wrap only protect your furniture from getting dirty. Heavy pads is what they should be using with rubber band to hold the pad in place, Not Tape. These cheap movers will charge you for all the tape and shrink you don’t even need. Most customer don’t know right from wrong when it come to local moving. I’m here to spread the message to our customers and anyone reading this blog.
We hope all of this important information will help make your local moving process much easier. If we can help you in
any way please call us 7 days a week from 7am to 7pm.
We would love the chance to assist with your next move.
CALL 602-944-1413 or Visit http://jonesmoverz.com
Jones Moving Company offers Cross country moving services from Phoenix AZ., to anywhere in the U.S.
Reliable Moving Company Phoenix
Best Prices and Service
Trained Crew with expert hauling and packaging
Call for our Fall Special to discuss your move.
Jones Moving & Storage
11398 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85020
Things you need to know when making a Long Distance Move!
Making a long distance move can be devastating and very stressful, not to mention costly.
Let us help you make your long distance transition go as smoothly as possible with these helpful ideas. With over 30yrs of experience we can help you transition to your new location with ease.
Planning your trip and trying to figure out if you should move your self or hire a professional moving company.
1.Renting you own truck, Cons on moving yourself is you would have to start by renting a truck and getting supplies such as Pads, dollies, tie downs. Not to mentions you would need to know how to pack the truck probably so the everything would fit with no damage. You would need to plan on the cost for gas, lodging, food and insurance on the rental truck. Pros on moving your self is that you would be able to time your delivery and the cost in some cases are cheaper.
2 Hiring Professional Moving company, Pros on hiring movers are having someone doing all the work and taking the stress out of moving, by loading the truck and knowing everything will fit and be will taken care of your belongings. They will bring the truck, tools, pads, dollies ,gas and wardrobes on request. Insurance is covered at .60 cent per pound per article and is include in the flat rate that the moving company has charged you. For your long distance move the bigger companies wont give you the personal service as a smaller company like us. We make every move very personal and you can always call and check to see where the driver is , office is open 7 days a week from 7am to 7pm daily. Downside, You will need to plan about two month in advance when hiring a moving company especially in the summer months. Its best to get a onsite estimate its free. Some moving companies have a two week spread for delivery. Depending on where your moving to we can deliver your furniture within 2-5days. Keep in mind that your shipment will be delivered with a large semi truck & trailer and in some cases can’t get in to apartment complex ,and storage facilities , your shipment may need to be off loaded and loaded on a smaller truck to make the deliver and extra cost may occur.
We transport Car, Vans, SUV’s , Motorcycle, Some small boats.
Keep in mind your insurance coverage for your vehicle would be own insurance policy that would cover your vehicle and you would be responsible for your own deducible.
Get a On-Site Estimates: You can start with a phone estimate if your trying to get an idea for the cost. When your ready to book your move its always best to have a representative from the local moving company come out to visual survey the items you want to move long distance. It also helps you get a feel for the moving you are considering. Keep in mind most of these estimator are salesmen and they will not be there on moving day and they haven’t even touched a piece of furniture. With us at Jones Moving are estimates are done by the owners or his sons, which are always on the long distance move. We don’t believe in high press sales and get your to the point. With over 30yrs of experience we know you will have a wonderful experience from start to finish. Be care of companies that give you a cheap price over the phone, they usually are Brokers and they will contract your move out to moving company in your area. This can be a problem down the road when the movers arrive and they up the price on moving day.
Research Your Moving Company: It always a good idea to check the review on the moving companies you are considering on using. Good places to look are BBB, Angie’s List, Yelp, Google. Some companies hire a marketing company to write review on google and Yelp. The BBB is pretty legit. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/updating-your-registration is the site to Federal Motor Carrier
Boxing & Packing:
- Dishpacks- Dishes, crystal, glassware, large flower arrangements, table lamps
- Small Boxes– Breakables, books, records, canned food, tools, and Heavy items should always go in to smaller boxes.
- Medium Boxes– Pots/pans, foods,games,toys
- Large Boxes– Bedding, linens, large toys
- Wardrobe Cartons– Hanging clothes, shoes and hats. Wardrobe Cartons are brought to your home on the day of the move and are returned when the move is completed.
- Pictures and mirrors: Keep the box flat and wrap your picture with paper or bubble wrap. Bunch paper at the bottom of the box, tape ends of box and seal the picture inside I can’t stress enough how important it is to use lots paper bunched up for cushions at the bottom of your box and double wraps every items-Breakable. Always top the box with another topping of paper for cushioning those breakable pieces. You should know that No moving company will cover any damages to what you packed in your boxes. Labeling what’s in each box and label what room you want it to go to. For any questions on packing please call 602-944-1413 we can you some helpful ideas.
Insurance Coverage for Long Distance:
1st Option is most common: We Offer 60 cents per pound per article which is CargoInsurance and is mandated by the Department of Transportation. This is the most common coverage throughout the Moving Industry. This is included in your hourly rate.
2nd Option is a good for long distance: We highly recommend a policy offeredby www.MovingInsurance.com this will cover you for a single piece or full household goods. If you have any questions about the insurance, please call them at 888-893-8835or visit their website @ www.MovingInsurance.com If you choose to get a policy through moving insurance. Note: The moving company will have to I
inventory all items and it will take a little longer for your move to be completed.
3rd Option: Check with your Homeowner or rental insurance carriers to see what they cover.Keep in mind Boxes ,totes, tubes, would not be covered in any of these plans. Also Loose items, pictures, mirrors, paintings, art work, marble, press wood, wouldn’t be covered as well.
Things we will not transport:
- Flammable items
We hope all of this information will help make your long distance move feel less hectic and overwhelming. We’ve here 7 days a week 7am to 7pm to answer any questions you may have.
Please Call Us or visit our website for more information on your moving. http://jonesmoverz.com
Hurry and take advantage TODAY!
And excellent customer service
Family Owned And Operated
Make a reservation TODAY!
When it comes time to move your items into storage, there are some specific things you can do that will make a huge difference, we will show you how to prepare items for storage. Planning ahead can help you avoid headache and aggravation down the road and can make it so much easier to remove items when needed. Here’s some ideas we’ve picked up over the years:
PROS And CONS on Self Storage Units, PODS, And Warehouse Storage:
- Self storage units is a easy way to access your unit at anytime. You can add and take things out as you need them. Downsize is that you don’t usually have pads to protect your furniture from scratches and dents. Other downsize if your not a professional packer you may loose space by not packing your unit properly.
- PODS: The advantage is you only have to load it once until you need your items back. Disadvantage is you would need to provide your own protection ,such as pads, blankets and ties downs. Pods are usually 16ft and can’t hold a lot of big furniture and you may need more than one POD which can be costly. Also, If you don’t pack the Pod properly your items can break or get damaged. The truck that picks up and delivers the Pods have to tilts the container to load the Pod on to the truck and your furniture can be damaged when that process is completed.
- Warehouse Storage: It is very convenient to having a professional moving company loading and take your items back to there warehouse. Because they are making sure all your furniture is protected with heavy pads and shrink wrap. The price is pretty reasonable for climate control with us @ Jones Moving. The downsize is we aren’t public accuses, for the safety of our other customers in our warehouse. You wouldn’t be able to get in to your storage vault after we pick it up your furniture and unload in to our warehouse. Also, your furniture is double handled. Visit our website for more information http://jonesmoverz.com
Helpful things to do for Self Storage Units:
· Protect your dishes by using special dish packing boxes.
· Wrap each glass, dish, and cup in its own packing paper or bubble wrap ,cushion the bottom and top of lots of paper – you might also use socks for glasses.
· Plates and bowls should also be wrapped individually and stacked in boxes in vertical position.
· Be sure to use plenty of cushioning at the bottom and top of boxes containing dishes or glasses, this will help from crashing the box ,when the box is packed full.
· Mark boxes clearly with “fragile” and be sure to stack these boxes at the top of your storage unit.
· Take the time to wrap big pieces of furniture such as sofas and loveseats with pads or blankets. This will keep them clean and make them easier to move. If you have white furniture its best to shrink wrap them to protect them from getting dirty.
· Stack chairs seat to seat and be sure to put a piece of cloth or paper in between the cushions
· Be sure to cover other valuable furniture carefully with pads or blankets.
· Store couches on end if possible to conserve space.
· Separate the legs of a table from the table when possible to save space. Wrap each leg in paper, plastic or a towel.
· Put all hardware (such as nuts, bolts, screws) into a plastic bag and tape the bag to the piece of furniture it belongs to.
Books, Files, Documents
· Careful not to overload boxes with books – you don’t want them to be too heavy.
· Use file storage boxes and hanging folders for documents.
· Be sure to label boxes accurately.
Appliances and Electronics
· First be sure that all appliances are clean and dry before storing – they can be ruined when stored with even the smallest amount of moisture inside.
· When possible, store electronics in original packaging.
· Leave refrigerator door open slightly for circulation.
· Be sure that when filling a box, you fill it completely so it doesn’t collapse.
· Use empty spaces between chairs and in the tops of dressers to store small items.
· Mattresses should be wrapped in plastic and stored on their sides.
· When storing metal items, run a few drops of oil on them to prevent rusting.
· Artwork and mirrors should be carefully wrapped in plastic or packing paper and then placed in heavy duty cardboard boxes.
Beware of these items:
Totes and tube have a tendency to break ,collapse, and come open.
Old used boxes can break down over time and when moved a lot.
Loose glass, mirrors, painting, TV’s and picture can break if you don’t pack or crate them in prior boxes.
Be sure to give us a call at Jones Moving & Storage if you have any questions regarding specific items. We’ve been in the moving and storing business for years and know a thing or two about prepping for storage . Call Seven days a Week 602-944-1413 http://jonesmoverz.com
*Exceeding Your Moving Expectations Every Time!*
Since 1990 Our Family Owned and Operated moving company has be proud to have served the community doing Residential, Commercial & Office Moving also Providing Local & Long Distance service and full packing service as well. This Moving Business has been our families heart & Soul for 30yrs, we take great pride and what we do, here at Jones Moving. Making sure every customer have a great moving experienced and by doing that we provide experienced movers on Moving Day.
Questions you need to ask yourself before thinking about hiring a moving company is..
1. Do I need help with packing up my house, apartment or office? Ask your moving company if they offer packing service. If so how do you charge? Some companies charge by the hour plus materials and some charge by the box. The downsize to paying by the hour is.. if they aren’t used to doing packing service they could be slow and your paying by the hour.
2. Do you need a estimate? If you have a house or office move you may need and onsite estimate. If you have small move you most likely could get a phone quote. The onsite estimate will help you and the moving company know what to expect on moving day. Note: Most if the estimator are salesmen and have never even touched a piece of furniture. With us at Jones Moving our estimators are experience movers and get right to the point about your move. For a free estimate call us @ 602-944-1413
3. Is the moving company your hiring have a Good reputation in the community? Believe me if they aren’t doing a good job most of the time the public will let you know. The downside is there is a lot of companies that have a review company that write reviews. So do some searching and you can usually see it for yourself. See our Reviews @ Google & BBB
4. Is my movers Licensed and insured? You can ask the for there US DOT # & General Policy. Keep in mind in Arizona you don’t have to be licensed , so that means anyone can open up and moving company. This is a big problem with moving companies in the valley. Because on moving day you may get a crew that does painting or yard one day and next day moving furniture. Not to mention if they have a damage you will be stuck with damage pieces.
5. What is the cost to hire a professional moving company? In the valley you will find a varies price range. Some companies flat rate the move based on the list of what you gave them. Most companies are by the hour. Here is what you need to find out. What are the extra fees? Like for stairs, heavy items, weekends, fuel charges, wardrobes, shrink wrap and ETC.. With us a Jones Moving we don’t believe in all those extra fees. Keep in mind cheapest isn’t always best, after you pay all the extra fees you may pay more that the middle range companies. Not to mention most of the cheap moving companies hire by labor.
6. Will my moving company protect my wood floors? We always protect wood floors with Professional floor runners.
7. Do they offer climate control storage? Some moving company do offer storage. We offer vault climate control storage.
8. How will my white pieces of furniture be protected? We always shrink wrap white furniture and we do not charge extra for that.
9. How will my furniture be protected on the truck in transit to my new place?Here is a big indication to know if your dealing with
a professional moving company. If they say shrink wrap , that would be a big no, no. Shrink wrap doesn’t protect your furniture at all, expect from dirt. The answer is heavy pads. Some companies use tape on the pads and charge the customer for the tape. We don’t believe in using tape we use big rubber bands its a fast process and free to the customer.